November 13, 2017
13 November 2017
IWS sailing in 30-35 Knts
We keep on testing our IWS system.
Monday the 6th of November, Northern wind was blowing 30 knts with gusts over 35knts.
Ideal conditions for an IWS trial to demonstrate all the advantages of our NACA shape supported by the air muscle
We can conclude that:
- the IWS rig behaves nicely and flies vertically in the wind,
- it doesn’t transmit any force on the hull,
- the IWS rig pulls the boat forward, helping a lot during tacking,
- there is absolutly no compression, the boat seems to be lighter,
- the boat stays well balanced, even in the gusts,
- no load on the mainsheet, the sail puts itself in the best angle,
- pitching effects are very limited even in a rough and choppy sea.
To make it short, it’s just ‘’easy sailing ‘’
Gybing forward is also a beauty.
We sailed with 2 reefs (i.e. by bringing the mast down by 2.2m thanks to our aluminium retractable mast).